South Australian Tourism Student of the Year
Supported by Skal International Adelaide
This award recognises an outstanding tourism student and their commitment to contribute to the development of a vibrant and professional tourism industry in South Australia.
Skal International Adelaide will be awarding the Tourism Student of the Year with a student exchange program to New Zealand, lasting 7-10 days and including:
- Return airfares to Christchurch, along with accommodation and travel insurance; and
- The chance to work and meet with tourism operators in the Christchurch and Canterbury regions.
- All nominees must be 18 years of age or older on 16th September 2016.
- Nominees must be currently enrolled in a Tourism course (2016 term/semester).
- The nominee must be available to accept the tourism exchange prize and meet the additional requirements as specified below.
- The Student must be nominated by the Tourism University/College/TAFE or other accredited learning centre.
- In nominating a student, the education institution agrees to purchase a ticket for the nominated student to attend the 2016 SA Tourism Awards Gala Dinner.
- Provide a medical history signed by the nominated student’s physician stating they are fit for travel.
- Provide evidence that the nominated student has sufficient financial support to assure their well-being during the exchange.
- The award will not be made to the same person twice.
- The answer to each question must not be more than 2 pages.
- The nominee’s Resume and no more than 3 letters of recommendation may be included.
- Copy of documentation such as driver’s license, passport, etc. should be included to verify age.
- The award will be presented at the discretion of the judges, based on the submission received.
- This category is specific to South Australia, and the winner will not go on to become a finalist in the Australian Tourism Awards.
- The criteria and rules for entry for the 2016 Australian Tourism Awards DO NOT apply to this category.
The judges will take into account the following aspects when assessing a nomination:
1: OVERVIEW OF THE NOMINEE
Provide a brief overview of yourself, highlighting your personal attributes. Include a brief history of your career in tourism, and a description of your studies and achievements. Please include some form of documentation that verifies you will be over the age of 18 as of 16th September 2016. (10 points)
- Extracts from your curriculum vitae may be useful.
- Include previous and current studies as well as previous and current employment.
- What are your interests and accomplishments within the tourism industry?
- Have you ever travelled overseas? If yes please detail.
2: NOMINEES CANDIDACY FOR STUDENT EXCHANGE
Provide reasons why you think you would be a good candidate for the student exchange program. (20 points)
- What personal benefits would you derive from the student exchange program?
- Include references and letters of recommendation.
3: NOMINEES DEVELOPMENT & CONTRIBUTION TO THE TOURISM INDUSTRY
Provide details on what you hope to accomplish as the Skal International South Australian Exchange Student. (20 points)
- Consider accomplishments during your exchange and after you return.
- What are your plans and ambitions for your education / career in tourism in South Australia and how will participation in the exchange further this?
Total score: 50 points.
NB: This category does not incur a nomination fee.
*In nominating a student, the education institution agrees to purchase a ticket for the nominated student to attend the 2016 SA Tourism Awards Gala Dinner.