Changes for 2016
In 2015, updates across all categories and criteria occurred following feedback from all State/Territory award owners. In 2016, some minor tweaks to these changes have been implemented that are a result of feedback from entrants.
1. Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Tourism category will now be titled Qantas Award for Aboriginal & Torres Islander Tourism. The state winner will receive a $2,000 incentive from Qantas and the National winner will receive $25,000
2. Category descriptor amendments have been made to the following categories and now read:
- Category 7- Qantas Award for Aboriginal & Torres Islander Tourism
- Category 14 –This category recognises creativity and innovation in fully integrated destination marketing activities.This category is open to Regional Tourism Organisations, Local Tourist Associations,Visitor Information Centres, local government and organisations that are marketing on behalf of a destination.
- Category 20 – This category recognizes a single self-contained property offering guests the freedom of self-sufficiency. For companies that are managing groups of properties it is recommended they focus on one of their properties or enter Specialised Tourism Services.
- Category 21 – This category is open – but not limited to – motels, hotels, self-catering, cabins, backpackers and pub accommodation. The focus of this award is on both the facilities and services that enhance the tourism experience.
- Category 24 – This category recognises new tourism businesses that have commenced trading, visitation or service delivery during the qualifying period. This award recognises excellence in the planning and development of new tourism infrastructure and/or services. Tourism businesses that have commenced a new product or opened new infrastructure need to enter another category most applicable to the business.
3. Question changes have been made in the following two categories:
- Category 7- Qantas Award for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Tourism – Q1(b)(c) and (d), Q2(d), Q3(b) and (c), Q5(a) and (b)
- Category 9- Visitor Information Services – Q3 (a)(b)(c) and (d)
4. Rules for Entry Amendments:
- Formatting – 1 point per page will be deducted for every page over 31. A maximum of 5 points will be applied.
5. The Business Profile Section has been removed.
6. The Qantas Award for Excellence in Sustainable Tourism category has been removed and will no longer be included in the Awards.
7. The Backpacker Accommodation has been removed and will no longer be included in the Awards, but previous entrants can enter the Standard Accommodation category.