Research & Surveys
Tourism Satellite Account
The Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes a Tourism Satellite Account for the Australian tourism industry on an annual basis. The Tourism Satellite Account is recognised internationally as the benchmark for estimating the economic contribution of tourism. It provides measures of tourism gross domestic product, tourism gross value added, tourism trade, and employment in tourism.
Tourism Research Australia
Tourism Research Australia is Australia's leading provider of quality tourism intelligence across both international and domestic markets, undertaking respected, reliable research and analysis in relation to the inbound, domestic and outbound markets, as well as information on traveller expenditure, places visited, activities, accommodation, transportation and demographics.
- National Visitor Survey - March Quarter 2014
- Tourism Forecast, Autumn 2014
- International Visitor Survey - December Quarter 2013
- State Tourism Satelite Accounts 2012 -2013
- State of the Industry 2013
- Tourism Businesses in Australia - June 2010 to June 2012
- Tourism Operators's Digital Uptake Benchmark Survey 2013
- NEW Small-Scale Accommodation Survey (beginning January 2013)
- Experience Development Strategy Pilot - Flinders Ranges
- Barossa Product Gap Audit
- Tourism's Contribution to the Australian Economy, 1997-98 to 2009-10
- Strategic Regional Research - South Australia: The Impacts of Regional Visitor Information Centres on Visitor Behaviour in South Australia
- Disaggregation of Tourism Employment Data - A Scoping Paper
- Tourism Investment in Australia
- South Australian Regional Visitor Guide Study
- MORE RESOURCES
Timely and reliable data and research are critical to helping business make sustainable investment and capacity planning decisions. More Tourism Statistics:
Tourism Australia provides consumer and market insights, plus industry and strategic insights to Australia’s tourism industry. Tourism Australia identify new and high yielding markets and analyse and communicate trends in global and domestic tourism.
Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre
Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre (STCRC) was formed to assist in the development of a dynamic, internationally competitive, and sustainable Australian tourism industry. STCRC research reports, tools & products are now available as free PDF downloads.
The Small-Scale Accommodation Survey
The Small-Scale Accommodation Survey (SSAS) will provide operators, investors, and government with timely information on supply, demand, and revenue using an innovative web-based platform. This is essential as smaller hotels, motels, serviced apartments, visitor hostels, and caravan parks are an important component of the Australian tourism industry.
The SSAS will track the performance of smaller accommodation facilities not covered by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, and will provide a more comprehensive overview of how the accommodation sector is faring.
The SSAS will start collecting data in January 2013 for the following categories of accommodation:
- Hotels, motels and serviced apartments (up to 14 rooms)
- Visitor hostels
- Caravan parks
Australian Bureau of Statistics
The Australian Bureau of Statistics provides statistics on a wide range of economic and social matters, serving government, business and the general population, as well as producing statistics on a range of tourism related activities.